Department: Corporate Services
Reporting: Manager of Corporate Services
Date last modified: 03/08/2011
Under the supervision of the Manager of Corporate Services, the Administrative Assistant performs a variety of administrative functions. These duties include office management, accounts receivable and accounts payable, preparing reports and maintaining files, databases and records.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs Accounts Receivable functions including invoicing customers, processing customer payments, preparing bank deposits, following up with late payments and maintaining files and records.
- Performs Accounts Payable functions including preparing checks and wire transfers, entering bills and credit memos into the accounting software, and preparing purchase orders and sending them to the supplier.
- Preparing business and financial reports for the management group as needed.
- Answering the telephone and directing personal inquiries. Provides information to the general public and employees as required.
- Shipping of finished goods which include preparation and processing of shipping invoices and documents.
- Creating documentation for customs, and other shipping related documents.
- Ensures that adequate operating levels of office supplies and equipment are maintained by preparing and processing requisitions and verifying completed purchase orders.
- Coordinating visitor reception as required including greeting guests and assisting them as needed and informing the concerned parties of the arrival.
- Assisting on various administrative issues as given.
- Follows safety procedures as set out in the Health and Safety policy and internal trainings.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Community College Administration or Accounting courses or the equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge office software, computer equipment word processing and spreadsheets (MS Excel, MS Word).
- Ability to communicate effectively orally or in writing and able to relate well with co-workers, supervisors, other employees and the general public.
- Excellent ability to deal with people at all levels.
- Flexibility and adaptability; with a strong team player mentality.
- Working with tight deadlines and conflicting priorities from frequent interruptions.
- This position requires the ability to handle a diversity of tasks in a fast moving environment.
- Mental effort required in multi-tasking and handling interruptions that requires constant refocusing.
- Listening and mental attentiveness in dealing with co-workers or public queries.
- Lifting boxes and office supplies that can result in injury to back, feet or hands.
- Frequent exposure to glare from a computer screen, printer toners or chemicals.
- Performs multiple, repeated and sustained hand-eye movement on computer keyboard and screen up to eight hours per day.
- Sits for extended periods of up to eight hours per day.
Type of Supervision Received
Works under general instructions to prioritize and complete assigned tasks. Assignments are periodically checked for progress by the Manager of Corporate Services.